Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Oh, Sweet Nostalgia: 8th Grade Flashback


Tonight I'm feeling a little nostalgic. Rummaging through old pictures, keepsakes and some of my favorite songs growing up. So I figured I might as well take a quick moment and say hello to my 8th Grade self...

Dear 8th Grade Ashley, anytime I hear the song "Volcano Girls" by Veruca Salt, I think of you and how excellently awesome you were even if you didn't know it back then. You had great taste in music, a really bad haircut with bangs that were most unfortunately cut WAY too short to ever be considered cool and really sweet glasses. You were an undercover cool kid, because you listened to WAY better music than most of the people you went to school with. SO elite that in fact you did not even clue into just how elite you were. You had an unhealthy obsession with a certain boy, which, to this day, I am STILL embaressed about and cringe at the mention of his silly name. You were a pretty decent soccer player I must say, but alas, you never went pro, sorry to break it to you. 8th Grade Ashley, I just want you to know...well...I guess what I'm trying to say here is... you were extra cool deep underneath your nerdlette exterior, your musical tastes were superior even then, BUT I think it's also fair to say that it was a huge mistake to wear that purple plaid shirt as often as did. But hey, it's in the past, right? I'm happy to report that in 10 years your cool factor will have risen greatly...two very enthusiastic 'thumbs up' go out to you, my friend.

So 8th Grade Ash, this song is for you...

6 comments:

Amy said...

What a cute post!! haha... and btw I liked this song, too... :)

I haven't seen you around for a while! Miss you!

Kay said...

I wasn't even close to cool in 8th grade. I've always been old, or at least middle aged. At last, my age matches my personality.

Kelley said...

Lol! This is SUCH a cute post, so well written that I can imagine your yearbook photo now.

Anonymous said...

This was a fun post to read! 8th grade Ashley sounds like a friend of mine! :)

Zoie // Religion of Fashion said...

Ha! I should wait 5 more years and do this..... it's such a cute idea :) However, you're 8th grade self sounds a bit cooler than mine :-/ hmmmm, i was not a cool nerd..... I was a cool kid who was a nerd on the inside....

Ah,should have let the nerd out!

Zoie.
Religion of Fashion
www.religionoffashion.blogspot.com

Creative Minds said...

HEHEHE! My hubby loves Nightrider.
Did you ever watch the new ones with the Mustang? It wasn't on very long...