Sunday, January 17, 2010

Milestone Alert: 2 Years of Etsy Magic


So, today marks my 2 year anniversary of signing up and opening a shop on that little site called Etsy. At the time, it was just a shot in the dark. I figured that I could get a few sales here and there to increase my online presence and help to supprt my fledgling small business. I never thought of it as much more than a way to have a little fun and be a part of a bigger handmade movement...

Two years later, here I am. Making my living on Etsy. Wait, did you hear me? MAKING MY LIVING ON ETSY! GROWING MY BUSINESS ON ETSY! f you told me that 2 years ago, I would have laughed at you. If you told me 3 months into my Etsy experience that in 6 months time I'd invited to that magical land of 'Featured Sellers' I would have scoffed, and laughed again. I kind of have a hard time describing or detailing exactly what has gone on in my life and the life of my business these past two years, because it's total blur. Everything has changed and nothing has changed, all at once. I'm still excited for every sale I get, I still blush a little anytime I get an especially glowing feedback left about my shop, and I still worry if I'm "cool enough" for Etsy. When I am lucky enough to make it to the fabled "Front Page" of Etsy, I still squeal and do a happy dance. Man, it's just so crazy that it's been TWO years! I'm smiling as I type this thinking about how truly insane that is. Sometimes I just wanna called up Etsy have an "I love you, man!" moment, complete with a chest bump and back slap.

Etsy is truly something that has changed my life in almost every way. It has allowed a young twenty-something designer, fresh out of college and totally green to the world of independent design, the oppertunity to do what I love, the way I want to do it, and thankfully, with little overhead costs :). I am counting my lucky stars for that, STILL.

I have certainly found a home at Etsy, but it's 2 years in, and I'm still putting my all into it everyday. It's a chore, a crusade and sometimes a real struggle for sure, but it's worth it. Etsy isn't something you can just let do the work for you, there's a good bit of sparkly Etsy magic you have to conjure up for yourself. Some people aren't prepared for JUST how much work it takes to get your Etsy business off the ground and to keep it going. I'm happy to say, I was able to weather the storm, even through the toxic economy. Where am I going with this? I guess what I'm trying to say is this, and I guess only this... 2 years later, and I'M STILL HERE! 2 years later and...

I. AM. STILL. HERE.

I love you Etsy, thanks so much for loving me back :) Here's to another 2 years of Etsy magic!

16 comments:

Tickleworm said...

Congratulations!!!! That is so great to hear!!!!

Rachel
www.tickleworm.com

balanced. said...

Congrats Ashley!

You deserve all the success that comes your way. :)

Amy said...

Congratulations! Well done!

Jaime/GirlLovesGloss said...

Congrats ashley! I have been on etsy since 2005 not long after it started up and have yet been able to make a full time living on it! You should be proud!

Amy said...

Awww, congratulations! It's quite a milestone- and you deserve all the success! :)

Kelley said...

Congratulations!! That is so awesome, you are definitely an inspiration to me. I'd be interested to hear any lessons you've learned over the past two years about how to cast that "Etsy magic."

smartchic said...

wow, congratulations. imagine in just two years, you are now getting a stable income from your etsy crafts. i really enjoy browsing your collections at etsy. keep it up.

SewSweetStitches said...

Congratulations! You truly ARE an inspiration!

Maybeads said...

Congrats on 2 years! You're doing wonderfully and are an asset to Etsy.

Penny Glass Girl said...

Congrats for sure, and what a beautifully upbeat post! I share your love of the magic.

Crafts By Karina said...

Congrats :)! I can't wait for my 2 years!!

Luv2Have said...

Congratulations! I first discovered your shop when you were featured seller! I'll be celebrating my two years next month, time does go by fast:)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 2 years and for it being so successful for you...love your work.

Audrey @ The Cloth Parcel said...

Woot! I am coming up on my two-year Etsyversary myself. I feel a lot the same about it that you do, even though I am not making a living on Etsy yet.

There is an award for you over on my blog!
http://audzipandesign.blogspot.com

Jennifer said...

Congrats!! I am just starting out and your story is inspiring. I am happy you have done so well. :) Your jewelry is great.

Juliana said...

congratulations! I just opened up a store on etsy as well =) i hope i have as much success as you, hehe. do check it out when you have the time (www.etsy.com/shop/junkbyjuju). checked out your store and LOVE your little trinkets, btw =)