Monday, September 28, 2009

Remembering Nikki & Daisy



Lately I've been thinking about my dogs Nikki & Daisy, and how much I miss them.


Nikki was a big furball bucket of love. She was very pretty, very fluffy purebred Golden Retriever. We got Nikki at the beginning of 7th grade and it was the first puppy myself and my siblings can actually remember having, as our first dog Sam, grew up along side me ( I will need to do a whole separate post for Sam, she was my sidekick my whole youth, so she needs more space). Nikki was a cuddle bug, loved her food, ate seemingly inedible objects, often humped children and was always looking for someone to pet her. We actually almost named her Honey, because of her golden color and sweet as pie disposition. She spent a year hanging out with our old girl Sam, and learning what she could from her. When Sam passed away that Spring, Nikki was pretty sad without her mother figure around. Enter Daisy, stage left.

Daisy was a street dog. A small German Shepherd Mix, who had a rough start in life. We got her the summer before I went into 8th grade, about six months or so after we lost Sam. She was found hiding under a friends car in their driveway, and was thought to have been dumped on the side of the road as a puppy and abused by a man, as she was petrified of men, especially those with very deep voices. She survived on her own for a while living in the woods and enjoying tasty bug delicacies for nourishment. When we found out about her from our friends, we decided to adopt her to fill the void for both Nikki and ourselves that was left when Sam passed away. It took Daisy a while to adjust, she was scared of both of all adults at first and would only come to us kids. Eventually though, she settled in and came to trust us all. Daisy was named after Daisy Duck because she made a strange quacking sound when she barked when she was a puppy. She was such cute little street dog.

Nikki and Daisy were the best of friends, and brought so much to our family. The both loved going to Lake George in the summer. Daisy would swim and gulp water simultaneously and Nikki would just stand in the water (she was a little lazy). Miss watching them do that, even though it's a little lackluster.

Nikki passed away pretty suddenly in the Fall of 2006, and 2 years later Daisy passed away too. They were quite the duo, loved their walks, and even loved to cuddle with each other when we weren't looking. I still think about them all the time even though we now have Mel, Macy, and Marley running our lives and keeping us busy. They were such great family members!

I love and miss you , Girls!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Awww- I'm sorry you lost them, but they were SO lucky to have such amazing people in their lives! I can tell you are the best dog mom ever. :)

Amy said...

P.S. You should totally get a Vemelope sign!lol

Ashley said...

Hahaha, I'm seriously considering it and simultaneously thinking that I'm coming dangerously close to become the dog version of a crazy cat lady!

Kay said...

Your post made me think of my childhood buddy, Buttons. He was a Brittany, and the best dog ever--smart, sweet and ready for anything. Thank you for bringing back such precious memories.