Monday, September 28, 2009

"French Onion Soup" Omelette with Turkey Sausage, YUMMY!


Tonight I was struggling to think of something to make for dinner that "sounded" good. Ever have those days? Where none of your meal options are particularly appealing? Hate those!


Anyway, I decided I want French Onion Soup, but had no desire to go back out to get some. So, I decided to get a little creative!

A "French Onion Soup" Omelette is what I came up with, and let me tell you, I think I just discovered the most delish omelette ever, and it was healthy too! Here's what I did...

First, I saute'd some thinly sliced Vidalia onions in a non-stick skillet with some butter flavored Pam, thyme, garlic powder and a little bit of salt, until they were a deep caramel color. Taste a couple as they go to see if you'd like to add more thyme/garlic/salt etc. Once that was where I wanted it to be, I sliced and chopped some turkey breakfast sausage and added it in with the onions to brown up. While that was going, I shredded 1oz of Jarlsberg Lite Swiss Cheese and scrambled 2 eggs with a dash of salt/pepper/garlic powder and a tiny bit of Fat Free Half & Half. When the sausage and onion mixture was ready, I got to work making my omelette! We've all made omelettes so I will spare you the details on that.

I can't tell you JUST how delish it really was! It really had the flavor of French Onion Soup, the thyme and garlic are really important I think. In hindsight I would have probably added a teeny bit more thyme and actually would have saute'd even more onions. If you love giving your eggs a bit of a twist I bet you'd love this omelette! I'm even thinking about cooking up a bunch of the yummy "French Onions" and keeping in my fridge to be able to make this process a little more speedy :)

Bon Appetit!

7 comments:

Mandi said...

yum! i love breakfast for dinner...lately i have been a sucker for pancake dinners...haha...probably because it is an excuse to have sweets for an entire meal.

Amy said...

YUM! I love breakfast for dinner, too, and that sounds sooo good. :) I made homemade soup tonight (not the cauliflower soup, but italian wedding soup), and it was really good. Only now I feel sick because I ate too much.

Anonymous said...

Yummy! This sounds delicious! I definitely get in a food rut sometimes - I'll have to try this. Thanks for the idea!

Little Gray Pixel said...

Sounds delish! I have plans to make homemade french onion soup for the first time this week. Hope it's as tasty as your omelette. :-)

Kay said...

That sounds great! We have 24 chickens so I'm always looking for new ways to use eggs. And I love French onion soup.

prashant said...

t is an excuse to have sweets for an entire meal. Web hosting india

Spacejams Vintage said...

Will try that =) sound delicious.