Friday, July 30, 2010

Revived Love for Sixteen Stone


Ok, I am officially the worst blogger ever, I know this. But, I thought I'd give you a little peak into my life as of late. So here it is. I sat in on a late night jam session at a friends recently and had my love of Bush rekindled. Epic. Why so epic? It's simple really...

Sixteen Stone is one badass record, and I had forgotten how much I loved it until a friend began playing the riff from "Machinehead". AMAZING. I literally had not thought about that song in years and years but as soon as that riff came in, my 7th grade heart almost burst. Everyone joined in pretty effortlessly and it was a full on jam sesh that then moved into "Glycerine". Totally nostalgic and 100% enjoyable. In fact I feel badly that more people don't experience that sort of fluidity and connection with others via music. Its a magical thing. Saying "magical" makes it seem like I'm not being all that serious, but really, I am. There's something about the music you listened to while growing up that brings you, or at least me, such a honest and deep internal satisfaction. When you don't hear it for a while you might not even really realize that you miss it, but when it falls back into your lap, it's like you've been holding your breath underwater until you think you might pass out, and then you come up and take that huge gasp of air.

Thats what I love about music. It never really leaves you. It waits for you.

Enjoy the tunes.



3 comments:

Diana said...

Great post! I love this line: "Thats what I love about music. It never really leaves you. It waits for you." I might steal that one day, but I'll probably butcher it into "music makes you wait sometimes" instead, so that's not quite stealing, is it?

Bright Circle said...

Though I'm sadly unfamiliar with Bush's body of work, I do know 'Machinehead' and the mesmerizing 'breathe in, breathe out' intro.
Because of your evocative writing, your blog is on my Top 15 blogs! http://brightcircle.blogspot.com/2010/08/thank-you-courtney.html

Unknown said...

"Sixteen Stone" is a great album... never gets old! I used to listen to it all the time, way back in high school. :)