Friday, January 8, 2010

The Little Things: Thing #1, A Grapefruit Spoon



I had a thought today, well actually, maybe it was more of a realization than a plain old thought. Anyway, however you want to categorize this brain function, here it is. The coolest stuff, the most enjoyable moments and the most excellent parts of your life are usually made up of tiny little things. Nothing too big, or too excellent in theory, just little things, little moments, little trinkets...

So, my thought is to have a running installment of "Little Things" I'm appreciating that day, or week, or moment. No set schedule because I want this to be free flowing and honest, I'll just be posting whenever the moods strikes. And, I'd really LOVE to hear what little things your appreciating that day too, whenever that day is that I post...

Now, for the first "Little Thing", I'd like to take a minute to appreciate an object rarely thought about but not any less awesome for having been forgotten by so many, so often. What I'm talking about ladies and gents is in fact, a Grapefruit Spoon. Sure, a Grapefruit Spoon is pretty much a glorified "Spork" with its serrated edges and all, but I can't lie, that's probably what makes it so rad. I'm gonna level with you here, I have like 4 Grapefruit Spoons...do you know many people who even have ONE? There's just something about the functionality that the Grapefruit spoon has that just makes me happy. Grapefruit Spoon, you make eating my Grapefruit so easy-peezy-lemon-squeezy that sometimes I just think you need a little recognition...

So, here's to the decidedly mundane but secretly awesome Grapefruit Spoon. May you continue making the lives of Grapefruit eaters that much more pleasant, each and every day :)

What's your "Little Thing" today???

**Amazing Grapefruit Photo Credit goes to the WONDERFUL simpologist over at Flickr :)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE grapefruit spoons!!! and haven't thought of them in years! Thanks Ash for bringing back that little ray of grapefruit sunshine in my life!

Lindsay Miakisz said...

OMG! I fell in love with them last year. Here's what I do (learned it from someone I work with): Cut the grapefruit in half (much like the pic that you posted), cut around the outside and each little triangle of the grapefruit with a paring knife (another great invention), sprinkle with splenda, and then use the grapefruit spoon to eat it. It seems like a lot of work, but it's not... even if it was it's totally worth it!

Amy said...

Hahahah!! I LOOOOVE this post and I love grapefruit AND grapefruit spoons!! Of course, I eat my grapefruit with sugar all over the top- totally ruins the healthy aspect of it.

Lafe's Hidden Treasures said...

Love this post...it truly is the little things that really bring us the most enjoyment. Sorry to say I don't have a grapefriut spoon, I just sit and dig at it...messy too!

I appreciate the forgotten pen. With all the keyboards typing away sometimes the pen gets left out until you are on the phone and need one! I still love to pick it up and write away.

Lrc said...

I really like this idea of appreciating the 'little' things...when you focus on them you realize just how important and big they are...grapefruit spoons are one of these things as are a good pen and drawing in my sketchbook...good strong tea makes my list too.