Wednesday, October 21, 2009

New Pendant Experiment Time! Your Opinion, Please???


I've been wanting to start incorporating faceted gemstones and cabochons into my jewelry for a while now but have struggled with doing so in "my style". The other day I had a rush of design ideas and did some quick sketches and this is what I came up with!


The pendant is small, about the size of a penny, and I'm thinking of doing a series of this style pendant but with different simple silhouetted design variations. I feel like it has a bit of a Renaissance feel to it...Yes?No? I want to do a series of these with different stones in simple tube settings, I used a Pink Topaz in this piece because it was just an extra stone I had laying around, not sure if I'd go with pink for others but we'll see!

Anyway, when it came out of the tumbler with the Bright Mirror Finish I wasn't overwhelmingly excited about it, though I REALLY wanted to be! SO I decided to try out a number of different finishes and compare them via photos afterward, and THANK GOD I did! I totally feel in love with the pendant after the sterile mirror polish was gone :)

I'm personally LOVING the Brushed Oxidized Finish, it brings so much more depth to the piece and I love that it feels a little ancient. I know not EVERYONE is into oxidized jewelry, so I think just even the Brushed Satin Finish is a great change/upgrade from the mirror finish it initially had. A nice bright option for bright silver lovers but still retains a bit of depth.

So, can I get everyones lovely opinions on this? Are you liking this simple pendant style? Which finish are you most drawn to?

Thanks for your help guys! I promise to get to that Trunk Show Secrets post by the end of the week!

6 comments:

not extravagant said...

oh- i love the brushed oxidized finish!!

Amy said...

Brushed and oxidized, for sure! ;)

P.S. It would look awesome with a green or aqua stone!

Bonzai Beadwear said...

very cool! Love the brushed/oxidized as well!

SewSweetStitches said...

Yep, I like the fully oxidized and brushed oxidized too. I think it makes the beaded border around the gem stand out better

Kim said...

I definitely love the brushed finish, but I am kinda torn between the oxidized and the bright. I think the stone choice would probably make the decision for me :) I'll wait and see what stones you decide to go with!

Kim

http://littlebitofpretty.etsy.com
http://littlebitofpretty.blogspot.com

Kelley said...

I like the bright satin finish!