Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Another Day in the Studio with friends...

I've spent the past 2 days working in my studio on new pieces. My time in that space during this stint can be best described as frustrating. Some days, the jewelry gods do not shine down upon me and I spend hours accidentally melting jump rings, burning myself or popping saw blades every 20 seconds or so. These are the days that I begin to really question my ability and can sometimes get pretty down on myself. I know we all visit that place from time to time...


Lucky for me, I never go to the studio without some of my best friends loaded into my fully charged iPod. And by friends I of course mean music/songs etc. I am incredibly moved by all different kinds of music and like anyone else I get into music cycles where I continuously listen to an album, a band, or maybe even a single song on repeat for LONG periods of time. I don't really know why but I begin to identify it with comfort and on some days can't go to sleep unless I've put in a good bit of time listening to whatever it is I've been listening to previously.

Right now, that band is Coldplay. Specifically the "Parachutes" album and "A Rush of Blood to the Head" album. Today in particular I find myself listening to the song "Spies", over and over and over again. It's got this haunting feeling to it that I love so much that it gives me chills from time to time. Such an amazing piece of music that really makes you think.

Anyway, as I head back out to my studio for what I hope is a very productive, non-destructive afternoon of soldering, sanding, oxidizing and polishing, I leave you with the song I will continue to listen to all afternoon, "Spies". Enjoy!


2 comments:

Honey Nest said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog. I am in the same boat with you. I have had days when every time I try to make something it falls apart. I especially hate when I accidentally drop a Swarovski crystal on the floor- and it shatters in a million pieces...no fair! I wish that my studio work -- went smoothly each time. Music and wine help me a lot ;)

Amy said...

Yay, I love Coldplay and own and love this album! :) I listen to Coldplay while working all the time.