Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Recipe Vault: Mmmm Broccoli Salad


Broccoli Salad is one of my favorite side dishes to make in the summer! It's bright, crunchy, cool and refreshing. Umm, not to mention, YUMMY! I've even managed to trim down the recipe to something that is healthy and almost guilt-free and in my opinion, it is actually even more scrumptious than before! This recipe is my go-to for BBQ's and Summer Parties, everyone is always raving about it, and for good reason! You can vary this recipe also by making a Broccoli & Cauliflower Salad which is equally as delish! I hope you love this recipe as much as I do :)


Broccoli Salad

2 Large heads of raw Broccoli ( or 1 large head of Broccoli & 1 Large Head of Cauliflower)
1/2 C. Shredded Carrots ( I like to shred my own with a peeler for thinner ribbons)
1/2 C. Red Onion Finely Chopped
1/2-3/4 C. Craisins (I go heavy on the Craisins because I love the flavor they add!)
8 pieces of Crisply Cooked Turkey Bacon Chopped

Dressing:
1 C. Light Mayo (I prefer Hellmans)
1 1/2 TBSP White Sugar
2 TBSP White Vinegar

Cut up Broccoli (and Cauliflower), leaving only a small stem on the florets. I then break apart the florets by hand, making small bite sized pieces (smaller is better in my opinion) and place in large bowl. Add Carrots, Red Onion and Craisins to the Broccoli bowl and give a quick toss. In a separate bowl whisk together the mayo, sugar and Vinegar. Once the dressing is mixed, add to the Broccoli mixture and stir well (this might take a bit of stirring to get a  nice even coating on everything). Once the dressing is nicely incorporated you can add the Turkey Bacon. Make sure to cook the Bacon before chopping it, it makes for a much better consistency. Fold in the Turkey Bacon until it is evenly distributed, cover with tin foil and stick it in the fridge for a few hours. This salad gets better the longer it sits in the fridge! Make sure to give the salad a toss or two right before serving it. You can easily half this recipe, or double it etc! Make enough for left overs, you'll be wishing you did the following day :)

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Amy said...

This is almost identical to the recipe I make, except I use regular bacon and I don't think I've ever used carrots...OMG I want it NOW!!! That pic makes it look soooooo good, too (which it is!). I highly recommend this stuff to anyone who hasn't tried it!

Anonymous said...

I don't use carrots, and I use baco-s or soy bacon.

You're making me hungry! UGH.

Ashley said...

I'm telling you guys, the carrots are a must! Extra vitamins and extra flavor and texture!

KimberlyRose said...

yum!!! I'll have to make this to bring to the desert this weekend we're picnicking, so perfect!

thanks!

BALLET NEWS said...

This is fabulous !

Hello, I really wanted to leave a comment for you, to say how cool it's been having a read of your posts and looking at your pictures today.

Really enjoyed my visit - you write really well !

Best wishes and thank you.

Moondoonie said...

Sounds & looks tasty!