Saturday, July 11, 2009

Welcome to my childhood...

When I was a kid, my family kinda lived in the boonies in relation to ,well, everyone else. This meant that we kids, had to entertain ourselves for the most part. And entertain we did.

My siblings and I spent countless days and nights dancing around in our sunroom, which housed my parent's stereo system and was just a couple steps from the kitchen. "The Obvious Child", by Paul Simon off of the Rhythm of the Saints album, was one of our favorites! I can still see it now, Mom or Dad standing at the sink washing the dishes after dinner, while the 4 of us kids dancing wildly to the infectious rhythm, of the saints :) Every once in a while one of us would get a little overzealous with our dance moves and skip the album. We'd pause for a moment, for fear that we *might* get in trouble, and then swiftly resume our dance mania.

It's funny how as I get older, it's not the fun Rainbow Bright birthday parties, my extensive My Little Pony collection or crazy family amusement park trips that I look back on so fondly, it's the moment's like dancing around in that sunroom, with my brothers and my sister, on a random summer night, that really makes me smile. Sometimes, my heart aches for those days, but I'm not worried that I'll ever forget about them. Ever. :)




more about "Paul Simon - The Obvious Child", posted with vodpod

2 comments:

Amy said...

Nice! I love Paul Simon (and Rainbow Brite and My Little Pony, hahah).

Tammy's Treasure Chest said...

You are so right! It's not the things we own, but the people in our lives that truly matter.